Tuesday, July 17, 2012

fiberglass switch rod - yellow beast

Fiberglass Switch Rod 8100, 8 weight 10 feet from yuhina on Vimeo.

home brewed from Lamiglas 9 weight 9 feet blank. you will think this little rod will take skagit 375 grain head?! (9-3 = 6 weight spey) NO no no... this yellow beast actually embedded a tremendous "butt power"; thus 375 grain won't load well until you start to jackup the head weight over 480 grain... I found a sweet spot on the 540 grain Airflo Skagit Switch. 540 grain @ 20'. If you familiar with this line, you know the reason this rod is called 'yellow beast'. It can cast anything you put on it... I mean "anything!" Cast well... great feel and good ol fiberglass "chewyness" rhythm! a 12 inches trout in a current will bend this rod, yet, it cast big stuff and small stuff really well. I am surprised that there are not much attentions drawn to those old fiberglass rod (yet). $35 blank cast better than my other $800 rods... the most interesting rod I ever owned! : )

3 comments:

FISH TALES said...

very sweet! would love to fish it.

BLUEANGLER said...

FT,

The most surprising thing to me is how much "joy factor" this rod has given to me. It's a great "feel" rod in all levels. I have a lot different spey rods included the famous riverwatch bamboo... but nothing cast like this little yellow beast... if you can find a blank, you might want to try it out... it's "Jelly Good"!! : )
Thanks for stopping by!

Mark

Unknown said...

how did you make a switch rod out of a 909? I'd like to do that too. Thanks