Saturday, November 06, 2010

spring creek exploration

This Saturday, I decided to visit the famous tailwater fishery in this state, the swift river. I wanted to visit this place for a long time, (rumors has it that the fish here grow big!) but it seems I can't find the time to make it happen. Finally, the lab's work is finished the first section and the perfect weather is really exerting it's magic power. Only one and a half hour drive and I was stunned by this gen clean spring creek! The water is so clear that you see every fish! some of them are building nests, some of them are trailing behind looking for free eggs. The insider report from the museum Mark is correct! It would be a egg day! egg pattern, imitate trout eggs that fall out from the spawning bed. Those fish that not in the mating mode are my target, they are playful and they LOVE eggs! : ) Because of the water condition (low and clear) and popularity of this creek, those trout are super spooky and wary,( this place really reminded me the famous Davison river in NC.) I have to cut my rig into a very clean, simple design, no indicator, no extra weight to minimize the disturbance. But because of the clean water, I can see most of the trout taking the fly, which is super cool! Sometime you will see the trout just slightly open the mouth to show a little white, or a little finin sideway, then I would do a quick waist set to seal the deal. It was a gorgeous day, the gentle flow of the creek and the bird song just wash away the tension from the whole week lab work!

sage z-axis 490-2, 4 weight 9 feet and 2 piece rod. This rod is amazing casting machine! a super sensitive and accurate rod. lightning fast action provide sharp and clean cast for the situation that have a very tiny marginal error... one or two drifts, taken or spooked. : ) When sight fishing in a gen clean spring creek. This rod is my only choice.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

the creek looks great! when will you go next time? i wanna join! -- SNC

BLUEANGLER said...

Hey SN,

let's make it happen soon!
Mark

flyfishingunlimited said...

Nice report Mark and beautiful fish! Swift is a nice tailwater stream... I fished it but not very often while I lived in Boston.

BLUEANGLER said...

Hey Vlad,

The gen-clear water is amazing!
I really like the "hunting style", if you have a chance to visit here, let's fish it together! : )

flyfishingunlimited said...

Sounds good, Mark... I am pretty sure we'll have a chance to fish in the near future!

Cameron Mortenson said...

Mark...how did I miss this post? Beautiful fish.